Hello and welcome!
Bonjour et bienvenu!
I am a bilingual (French-speaking) Registered Social Worker and Psychotherapist.
I have 28 years of clinical counselling experience with youth, adults, couples and families.
I am passionate about empowering people (age 17+) who wish to improve aspects of themselves, their relationships and their lives!
I am especially interested in, and qualified to assist with, the following concerns:
- Abandonment by a parent (at any age)
- adult ADHD
- Attachment difficulties
- Childhood Emotional Neglect (CEN)
- Emotionally immature parents
- Highly Sensitive Personality traits
- Narcissistic partners or parents
- Parenting children/teens/young adults with High Functioning Autism and/or ADHD
- Social Anxiety
A bit of backstory...
After acquiring my Bachelor of Social Work in 1991, I accepted my first counselling job in a group home for pregnant and homeless teenagers.
These spirited and challenging youth, most of whom were wary of adults because of traumatic childhoods, rightfully insisted I earn their respect before they'd even consider - let alone trust - my scholastic knowledge and helpful intentions.
They collectively taught me the most valuable lesson I needed to internalize as a (new) therapist: people don't care how much you know until they know how much you care. This simple, accurate truth continues to guide every one of my counselling sessions.
Sure, problem-solving skills, analytical thinking and intervention techniques are important but, indisputably, many clients feel helped most when I put textbook theory aside, pay attention to how they feel and "just" be with them in their grief and pain.
Through a profoundly attuned, genuinely caring connection devoid of judgment, blame and shame, people feel motivated to do the work they need to do to heal and change.
After 25+ years as a full-time Social Worker/Psychotherapist in very busy youth agencies, crisis centres, hospitals and Employee/Family Assistance Counselling Programs, I decided to slow down a little and open my private practice - a dream I'd had for some time...
I am conveniently located in North Etobicoke - 1.5 km North of Hwy 401, up Islington Ave.
Since 2018, I have been meeting with clients in my comfortable, private home office (with a separate entrance from the rest of my house) in North Etobicoke, Ontario.
Benefits of sessions in a home-based office:
- This convenient arrangement allows me to more flexibility accomodate people's busy schedules, work shifts and limited availability.
- Sessions feel less rushed since I never schedule appointments back-to-back. After all, it's difficult to say to someone: "Could you cry a little faster, please? My next client is here."
- A quiet, tranquil and very clean environment.
- Access to a thoroughly clean, private bathroom.
- The option of additional comfort from my well- behaved pets: Sparky, my mini-Collie (dog) and/or my dwarf rabbit, Bugzy, if desired. (If not, they remain in a securely gated, separate area of my house.)
- Fresh coffee, tea and cookies are always available.
- Plenty of free parking at all times.
I provide secure, confidential online counselling using Doxy.me
Doxy.me is a telemedicine app that is:
- easy to use
- worldwide security-compliant
1. You simply need a standard computer (no special hardware or software) or the Doxy.me app on your mobile phone.
2. I will send you a web link to my private Doxy.me virtual therapy room and, within minutes, we will see and hear each other.
Good, "old-fashioned" telephone sessions are always an option, of course.
* * * * *
- Bachelor of Social Work (Honours) - McGill University (1991)
- Master of Social Work (Honours) - University of Toronto (1995)
- 1-year Family Therapy Externship - George Hull Centre (1995-96)
- 250+ accredited mental health & psychotherapy workshops
- 12-week Cognitive Behaviour Therapy Intensive - William Osler H.C. (2017)
- monthly group supervision with seasoned Psychotherapists (ongoing)
- Childhood Emotional Neglect certification - Dr. Jonice Webb (2018)
- Emotion Focused Therapy individual supervision - ICEEFT (ongoing)
- Emotion Focused Therapy 4-day workshop - ICEEFT/Dr. Sue Johnson (2019)
- Emotion Focused Therapy Externship - ICEEFT (2020)
- Member of the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers
- Member of the Ontario Association of Social Workers
- Member of the International Centre for Excellence in Emotion Focused Therapy (ICEEFT), Toronto
- I am a www.psychologytoday.com verified/approved therapist.
How I Help
1. Through compassionate and careful listening, validation, reflection and questioning I create a safe space in which to address emotions, behaviours, thought patterns and habits that interfere with quality of life.
2. I use a variety of humanistic, cognitive, psychoanalytic, behavioral and systemic counselling theories & approaches, depending on each person's unique circumstances, needs and goals.
The evidence-based counselling approaches I use most frequently are:
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
- Attachment Therapy
- Cognitive Behaviour Therapy
- Emotion Focused Therapy
- Psychodynamic Therapy
- Solution-Focused Brief Therapy
Counselling from a Christian (Bible-based) perspective is also available upon request.
These types of therapy are all described in the Counselling Approach tab.
* * * * *
- Monday - Friday 8 am - 8 pm
- Saturday 8 am - 5 pm
$ 125 (tax included) for 1 hour of psychotherapy
I look forward to speaking with you soon! Au plaisir de vous parler bientôt!
(416) 745-3878 (calls, texts) firstname.lastname@example.org